Moissanite is a gemstone that is chemically and physically similar to diamond. It is made up of silicon carbide (SiC), which is a very hard material. Moissanite was first discovered in 1893 by Henri Moissan, a French chemist. It was found in a meteorite crater in Arizona.
The Properties of Moissanite
Moissanite has a high refractive index, which means that it reflects light very well. This gives moissanite a brilliant sparkle that is often compared to diamond. Moissanite is also very durable and can withstand everyday wear and tear.
Moissanite and diamond are often compared to each other because they have similar properties. However, there are some key differences between the two gemstones.
- Price: Moissanite is much more affordable than diamond. This is because moissanite is a lab-created gemstone, while diamond is mined from the earth.
- Color: Moissanite is typically colorless, but it can also be found in a variety of other colors, such as yellow, brown, and green. Diamond is typically colorless, but it can also be found in a variety of other colors, such as yellow, brown, and pink.
- Hardness: Moissanite is slightly softer than diamond. This means that moissanite is more likely to be scratched or damaged than diamond.
Moissanite and diamond are both beautiful gemstones with their own unique properties. Moissanite is a more affordable option, while diamond is a more traditional choice. The best gemstone for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences.
Here are some additional tips for choosing between moissanite and diamond:
- Consider your budget: If you are on a tight budget, moissanite is a great option. ● Consider your style: If you prefer a traditional gemstone, diamond is a good choice.
- Consider your lifestyle: If you are active and outdoorsy, moissanite may be a better choice because it is more durable.
Ultimately, the best way to choose between moissanite and diamond is to see them in person and compare them side-by-side.